The Ultimate Guide to Men's Curls: Types, Care, and Styling Tips
Curls have always been a sign of style and beauty and men's curls are no exception. Curls add texture and dimension to short or long hair and can create a look totally unique to your personal style. Let's dive into the world of men's curls and discover how to make them work for you!
Types of Men's Curls
There are three main types of men's curls: wavy, curly and coiled. Wavy hair has the loosest curls that usually form an “S” shape. Curly hair has tighter curls that form spirals in a “C” or corkscrew shape. Coiled hair has even tighter curls that are densely packed and form a slinky or “Z” shape.
Caring for Men's Curls
The key to caring for men's curls is moisture. Curly hair tends to be dry, and can easily become frizzy if it's not properly hydrated. To keep your curls looking their best, look for products that are free of sulfates, which can strip your hair of its natural oils.
Conditioner washing (or co-washing) is a popular technique for curls that will keep your curls hydrated without overusing detergent that is commonly found in most shampoos. We love using Index Multiwash as either a co-wash, a traditional conditioner or a leave-in conditioner for hydrating curls and nourishing your scalp.
Styling Men's Curls
Styling men's curls doesn’t have to be tricky with these key tips:
1. Embrace your curls: The first step to styling curly hair is to embrace your natural curls. Don't fight against them or try to straighten them with heat, as this can damage your hair and strip it of its natural moisture.
2. Wash and condition regularly: Curly hair is often drier than straight hair, so it's important to keep it hydrated. Using Multiwash as either your co-wash or conditioner will keep your curls soft and bouncy.
3. Use a leave-in conditioner: After washing your hair, apply a leave-in conditioner to help detangle and define your curls. Products that contain natural oils, such as argan oil, like Multiserum or Jojoba Oil like Multispray, will hydrate and define your curls.
4. Diffuse your hair: To dry your hair, use a diffuser attachment on your blow dryer. This will help to distribute the heat evenly and avoid frizz. Start by scrunching your hair with your fingers to enhance your natural curls, and then gently diffuse your hair until it's dry.
5. Use a wide-tooth comb: To detangle your hair, instead of brushing, use a wide-tooth comb or your fingers. Start at the ends and work your way up, being gentle to avoid damaging your curls.
6. Trim regularly: Regular trims can help to keep your curls healthy and defined. A good rule of thumb is to trim your hair every 6-8 weeks to avoid split ends and promote healthy growth.
With these tips, you can achieve a stylish, defined look with your curly hair. Remember to be patient and experiment with different products and techniques to find what works best for you!
Be sure to stop by Dexterity Salon if you are in the Salt Lake City area and ask about your Free Gift!